Tuesday, December 29, 2009

And ... so it begins yet again!

As most of you who have been following my blog know ... I am a lifer! What does this mean? Well, it means that I am a professional student. I use to hear this term and never really understood that it was reserved for those that have this unchanging desire to continue their education through to completion, and then some.

As the title says, "And ... so it begins again" means that I am returning to school to complete my PhD in Education. My specialization will be in nursing education. This return to school represents the true completion of my formal education. I am scared, excited, dreading it and all the emotions you can experience. I know that the difference between those that have a PhD and those that don't is simply fortitude. I will continue until it is done.

I have also learned a new term that I did not know prior to starting this journey and that term is ABD. Now, most of you reading this blog are nurses, so we know an ABD is generally short for an abdominal pad. Nope, that is not what it is at all. ABD stands for All But Dissertation. This is when a PhD candidate has all the course work and comps completed, but has not completed the dissertation portion part of their graduation requirements. Interesting to note that many people are in the ABD category. Perhaps it stems from lacking motivation, overwhelming feelings that the dissertation is so involved that it will never be finished, or simply the student has just given up hope of completion. Not sure, but I know for me, this is a real issue. I will hold a PhD, not an ABD. SO - I will indeed have to stay motivated.

Will keep you all informed as the journey begins in April, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment